The High Country
The High Country area of western North Carolina (Boone, Blowing Rock and Banner Elk) used to be the stateís best kept secret. Today, the national media has come to recognize the High Countryís deep value and attractiveness as a perfect spot to live, work and play.
Thereís no better place to stake your claim to the peak of impeccable mountain lifestyle than Hound Ears Club. The Club is planted almost precisely equidistant among Boone, Blowing Rock and Banner Elk. In other words, your new home at Hound Ears is nestled in the very center of the High Country.
In 2012, Money magazine named the Boone area one the 10 Best Places to Retire.
The local Economic Development Authority has provided the Top Five Reasons to make the High Country your new home:
- Location, location, location...
- Breathtaking mountain scenery
- Clear, unspoiled streams
- Cool summer temperatures due to elevation
- Beautiful fall colors
- Easily accessible premier winter ski resorts
- Mountain culture, traditions and lore
- Vibrant downtowns
- Home of Appalachian State University
- Award-winning public schools and Lees-McRae College
- LEED certified new high school
- Excellent community college facilities
- Certified Entrepreneurial Community
- Tradition of innovation
- Variety of banking resources
- Highly educated work force
- Longstanding home to artists, artisans and writers
- Uncrowded: 163 persons/ square mile compared to 196 persons/square mile for NC
- Safe: crime rate 28.7 compared to 45.1 for NC
- Great place for children to grow up
- Changing, vibrant community attracts interested, active, involved retirees
- Community embraces green, sustainable businesses and practices
- Well established farmerís market and local food resources
- 4 seasons of exciting outdoor recreation opportunities
- 2 hours from international airports; 2 new 4-lane US Highways access interstate highways
- Modern, expanding regional healthcare system
- 25 physicians/10,000 population compared to 20.9 for NC
- New College of Health Sciences/BS in Nursing
- Home of Samaritanís Purse and an active, growing non-profit sector
For a community snapshot of the area, click here for a special report from the Boone Area Chamber of Commerce.
For a more in-depth look at Watauga County and the surrounding area, check out this 2012 special publication from Business North Carolina.